CHI St. Alexius Health
North Dakota, Minnesota
The CHI St. Alexius Health regional health care system was formed in April 2016, when Catholic Health Initiative purchased Bismarck St. Alexius hospital and clinics to form the largest health care system in central and western North Dakota.
The system is comprised of a tertiary hospital in Bismarck, and critical access hospitals (CAHs) located within North Dakota and Minnesota at Baudette, Breckenridge, Carrington, Dickinson, Devils Lake, Garrison, Lisbon, Little Falls, Oakes, Park Rapids, Turtle Lake, Valley City, and Williston with numerous clinic locations and outpatient services.
CHI St. Alexius Health – Bismarck also manages five CAHs in North Dakota which are located in the communities of Ashley, Elgin, Linton and Wishek, as well as Mobridge Regional Hospital & Clinics in Mobridge, SD.
With its division office located in Fargo, geography presents a huge challenge for the North Dakota market. To ensure the success of a value-based strategy across their market, they’re working to promote effective communication and collaboration.
To date, their efforts have yielded results, including:
- A 17% increase (to 93%) in childhood immunizations for ages 0 to 3.
- Mammography rates climbed from in the 40th percentile to above the 90th percentile.
- Well-child visits for children over age 3 rose above the 90th percentile.
- State honor roll recognition for one of their sites for wellness visits and immunizations, including adult immunizations.
- Utilizing virtual visit platforms to enhance care for patients.
- Building a network of health coaches assisting in providing care across the continuum.
At a Glance
- Region: Midwest
- Year Started: 2016
- Leadership: Marvin Smoot, ND/MN Division President for the Physician Enterprise; Timothy Olson, Director of Value-Based Programs
- Website: chistalexiushealth.org
- Lives Managed: 12,429
- Providers: 40 family practice providers participating